Monday, February 22, 2016

You Know When Barbie is Along for the Ride

You know you're a youth pastor's wife when Barbie has been riding along in his truck for a month. 



Our Junior High Youth Group has a strange tradition.  It started years ago and has continued on--some memories are hard to shake!   When we take our group to the snow, a Barbie head always comes along.  She is our 'target' at the bottom of the sled run and sledders aim to knock her over when they get to the bottom of the hill.  Weird, I know--but at least the tradition with the hot-dogs and bananas has been laid to rest--it could be worse.

It had been a year or two since we've had the chance to aim for Barbie (two years ago, Barbie had been lost and last year we had no snow!) but this summer, my son found a Barbie head at a garage sale.  $.25 later we were back in business!  Barbie successfully completed her 2016 mission and has since been riding around on the floor of my husbands truck.  It might seem odd to have her there, but until he takes her out, there she lays.  When I ride along, and see her grinning up at me, I'm reminded of fun times and the power of tradition!





2 comments: